This is the beginning of my journey, one I feel I'm destined to go far in. I'm determined I will, it's something I don't feel I can give up. It's writing. With every person that clicks on this page, every person who reads my work, every person that becomes a follower and every person that gladly comments, I thank you. Because you are making me a better writer every time.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The seriousness of the squashed Carrot

My little brother Cody and I ran through Grandma's garden.
"Be careful of the lettuce," she had warned, "Sitting by the fence."
Cody and I lifted our legs high and tiptoed carefully across the path.
"Remember there's potatoes there too," Grandma had told us.
We watched our steps as we walked past the potatoes, only just visible above the soil.
"And the carrots, petals, especially careful with the carrots. They've taken their time to come up!"
"Yes Grandma," we had said in unison. Cody and I stepped past the carrots. I watched his as carefully as mine but his foot slipped on the path and came right down on a carrot. Cody turned to me with alarmed eyes. They watered and I told him it was alright. I pulled up the mangled, squashed carrot.
"What are you doing?" he asked in a panicked voice, "Grandma can't know. We should just get out of the garden and play in the sandpit where she said we didn't have to be careful of squashing anything." I opened the small gate that was old and rusty and Cody followed behind. I heard his footsteps stop when we walked past the sandpit. I turned to face him. He was standing slouched, and visibly upset. He threw his hands up in the air, as if in surrender.
"I'm not having anything to do with this!" he shouted. But it was too late. We were caught red-handed by Grandma who was coming up the path. She was smiling but shaking her head. Like, she did when we told her silly jokes. I was terrified and the expression on Cody's face said he was too. I knew she would be mad. She said to be careful of the carrots. I looked down to her feet where a grey rabbit was passing.
"The rabbit got into the garden, did he?" she asked. I nodded, feeling saved and my heart slowing down.
"It's happened before," she said, "they just trample right over the carrots to get to the lettuce." She clicked her tongue, "Those mishcevious rabbits."
"Are you cross?"Cody asked her.
"Not much we can do about it now, is there?" she said to us as we shook our heads.
"Well, c'mon," she said, waving us over, "You might as well put that bad carrot in the compost. The muffins we baked are ready, so come back to the house." I looked at the squashed carrot in my hand and couldn't help feeling slightly guilty. We followed behind Grandma back to the house. Cody leant over close to me and whispered quietly, "I won't say nuffin' if you don't!"

No comments:

Post a Comment